Abbott Principal Electrical Engineer in Alameda, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Performs the layout, construction, and evaluation of a variety of prototype Printed Circuit Boards, fixtures, and tools. Applies advanced engineering and scientific principles to the evaluation and solution of technical problems. Initiates the planning, organizing, performing, coordinating and/or directing of engineering work, and may conduct performance evaluations. Performs technical studies. Remains abreast of and consults on technical advancements. Identifies and routinely uses the most effective, cost efficient and best practices to execute processes; continually evaluates their effectiveness and appropriateness.
• Lays out and constructs a variety of prototype tools and fixtures required for development purposes.
• Conducts evaluations, tests and analyses related to feasibility and function.
• Performs troubleshooting and fault isolation activities on a variety of breadboards and hybrids.
• Conducts measurements specified in design verification plans, documents and tabulates results, and provides engineering test reports.
• Documents custom tools with specifications, schematics and mechanical layouts to support document control and tool release.
• Understands Intellectual Property (IP) issues relative to processes being developed
• Functionally manage projects and have capability to supervise staff based off business needs.
• Maintains knowledge of new developments in electrical design.
• Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS),
Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
•Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies,
operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and
collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
Demonstrated successful design and implementation of commercially available consumer embedded system.
Clear understanding of embedded system architectural design.
Able to articulate a clear system design approach for device design.
Electrical engineering background with expertise in RF circuit and system design.
Expertise in PCB layout and design for manufacturing.
Desirable pluses for experience:
Low power wearable design
Medical device design
Software skills (writing code such as in C, C++ for embedded systems)
Record of delivering tool engineering information which adds value to management’s decision making process.
Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and
Company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks.
Advanced personal computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and specialized applications.
Established history of managing diverse technical teams, not just electrical engineering
Naturally able to visualize the entire product lifecycle and take the entire lifecycle into account in the conceptualization and implementation of a product
Takes initiative to understand the business, keeping track of the competition and finding innovative ways to beat them
Possesses the passion and vision necessary to innovate our future products
Motivates others to do the above with patience and Humble but motivated/ambitious
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical degree or equivalent experience
Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org