Abbott Manager Scientific Services, Diagnostics in Lake Forest, Illinois
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
This position reports to the Director of Scientific Services.
This position will be the subject matter expert on assay performance
for the disease area chosen.
Critical activities include development of proof sources and data to support
the analytical performance of the assays, development of KOLs to support our assays, customer education, and work closely with medical liaison teams to provide
support to area commercial. This position will provide feedback to R&D
for future product development as well as improvements for existing products and represent Abbott Diagnostics Division at key professional and industry meetings.
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
1) Building/improving the business’s scientific presence
in the marketplace.
2) Works closely with Scientific Affairs and Marketing
to provide scientific support to Commercial organization(s).
3) Develop Scientific Affairs strategies which
complement and help guide marketing strategies.
4) Provides input to the design of new products.
5) Work closely with Marketing, R&D and Regulatory groups.
Responsible for implementing and maintaining
the effectiveness of the quality system.
1) Must comply with and enforce with all OEC guidelines.
2) Develop key scientific relationships/presence.
Identify and work with key experts in the field
to influence and impact the clinical utility of testing in
specific disease states. Pursue publication of key studies
to enhance the business’s scientific presence.
Assist in write-up and review of publications for key meetings.
3) Develop and implement specific scientific strategies
and work with marketing to translate these into specific
scientific strategies to protect or promote sales of products
to differentiate from competition. Adjust strategy as necessary.
4) Creates and executes an annual scientific affairs plan.
5) Acts as liaison between marketing and Quality/Regulatory
and technical organizations when product issues arise.
Articulates the impact to customers.
6) Identifies sites, negotiates contracts, writes study
protocols, monitors study progress, analyzes results and
works with investigators to publish papers which will be used as proof sources by the sales force.
7) Assist Area Scientific Affairs and/or Marketing
to develop scientific strategies in alignment with business strategy.
Monitor scientific and business environment for developments
which could impact the business.
8) Effectively manage indirect and/or direct scientific affairs managers.
9) Prepares scientific posters and abstracts and
presents at key professional meetings.
Develops and educate our marketing and sales organizations,
as well as customers and physicians.
10) Leads cross functional teams involved in developing
patient and physician educational materials.
11) The above statements are intended to describe
the general nature and level of work being performed
by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Additional duties may be assigned as the business needs change.
Accountability / Scope :
1) This position will report to Director (Global) Scientific Affairs
or Sr. Director Global Marketing.
2) This position impacts the division’s sales, profits
and growth goals.
3) This position has an impact on the successful
development and implementation of key global marketing strategies.
4) By building strong ties with the scientific community
, this individual will help maintain Abbott's scientific leadership
position within a highly competitive environment.
5) This individual will cover key diagnostic product areas on
a worldwide basis. 6) This individual may have responsibilities
for the management of direct and/or indirect reports.
This role may also assist in the management/development of peers.
7) Position requires focus on long range plan development
while maximizing short term scientific opportunities.
Masters Degree in Science or relevant clinical role;
PhD highly desirable.
1) 7 years relevant experience is preferred; previous management experience desirable (e.g. manager/project manager).
2) 2 - 5 years of clinical or technical experience in product development or support is preferred. Product development/scientific management experience is desirable.
3) Position requires a solid understanding of the underlying principles of molecular biology and specifically the division’s products.
4) Position requires strong problem solving techniques and communication skills to effectively communicate and consult in a highly technical environment, as well as coordinating business strategies.
5) Effective communication skills for presentations and demonstrated leadership skills essential.
6) Knowledge of how the division’s functional areas work together and understanding the needs of customers is essential for design input.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com