Veterans at Abbott
Abbott Forensic Analyst in Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
Based within the Abbott Toxicology / Ascertain Forensics part of the business and reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the Forensic Analyst will supervise and undertake analysis and laboratory investigations of biological and other samples for the presence of drugs, poisons and related compounds.
· Performing analytical tasks using technical equipment following appropriate training
· Handling of chemicals, gases and biological samples (e.g. post-mortem blood, urine, tissues) for chemical/solvent extraction of drugs and related compounds for analysis
· Support/assist Forensic Laboratory Assistant and Forensic Analyst duties as and when required (e.g. case receipt and recording, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory and equipment, making chemical reagents and solvents, sample storage, stock control, etc.) to ensure effective service provision.
· Operation of technical equipment (e.g. mass-spectrometers, etc.) including maintenance following training.
· Apply quality control procedures, support and work within the laboratory quality system
· Supervise and undertake R&D projects, publish scientific work and attend/present at meetings where appropriate.
· Be involved with training less experienced members of the laboratory team.
· Support the QMS and Accreditation status of the laboratory.
· Support case administration for recording case results and relevant information
· Produce and monitor analytical standards, quality control material and quality performance
· Apply quality control procedures and support the undertaking and monitoring of the laboratory quality system, including document control
· Be involved at all levels in research and development of existing and new analytical methods
· Changing of gas cylinders
Confidential handling of casework
· Perform toxicological analysis as necessary.
· Maintenance and troubleshooting of the Laboratory equipment (e.g. LCMS, GCMS, HPLC, etc.)
Continual review of processes with the aim to streamline Lab Services, and office staff actions and reducing costs.
· BSc Science degree as a minimum or appropriate extensive laboratory experience (as deemed to be at an acceptable level by the Head of Forensics).
· Supervisory experience is beneficial.
· Experience of laboratory quality management systems (especially ISO 17025).
· Experience in chromatographic analytical techniques (e.g. LCMS, GCMS, HPLC, etc.)
· Using a computer for databases and equipment operation.
· Understand the need for confidentiality at all times.
The job is office based, travelling to other sites may be required occasionally.
Ascertain Forensics is an ISO 17025 accredited company. All duties must be carried out in accordance with these standards to the extent applicable to the specific role.
An equalopportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in ourworkforce.
Please notethat we are only contacting successful candidates for this role.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org